Saturday, February 11, 2012

18 months old!

Dear Cooper,
You are now 18 months old. That's a year and a half! You have grown and changed so much in the last six months! You are now not only walking, but almost running! You try so hard to keep up with those big brothers of yours. Out of all my boys, you are the most physical one so far. You climb everything...the bunk bed (scary!) the top of the couch, onto table and counters. Of course you love to play with everything up high out of your reach you shouldn't be playing with. One of your favorite things to play in is the toilet... flushed or not, with your brothers' toothbrushes. I've started stocking up on kids brushes just so we can throw the nasty ones away. Every bathroom door now stays closed if you are up and about the house.
You've gotten so tall now too! You're 33 inches (77th %tile) and we've had to turn your car seat around. You love that you can see forward and look where we're going. You're also tall enough to reach things up on counters and can open doorknobs. I'll be installing the knob covers on the bathrooms soon. You get into everything you shouldn't and love to spread things around to see how big a mess you can make. I feel like all I do is follow you around the house cleaning up after you and waiting to catch you if you fall.
You don't weigh that much yet, only 25 pounds, but some days it feels like you've got lead in your diaper.
I'm so excited because in the last few months you've started talking!! You don't have a huge vocabulary, only about 15 words, but you are adding to it all the time and starting to see the value in communication. Momma and Daddy are very popular words, along with Blue (the cat) puppy, Binky, ball, book, shoes (you love going out) and others. You understand everything I tell you, and react when I tell you, "No!" You jabber in gibberish plenty too. It is easy to tell when you are trying to communicate and we are just not understanding (or we're just not letting you do what you want to do!) you throw the biggest tantrums. All your life I've been saying you're the child making sure I want no more, and you're doing a good job of it. Your temper fits are throw down, blood-curdle screaming fits, and the best thing Daddy and I do is put you in your crib for a time out. Of course this invokes more screaming, but after a few minutes you calm down and you get out.
The other milestone that fills me with joy is your sleeping. I can finally say you are regularly sleeping through the night!! It happened all of a sudden, mostly because I think you're done teething for a while. I am much happier to see you early in the morning when you've let me get a good night's sleep.
As the days pass, more and more of your personality shows. Daddy and I enjoy watching you and wondering which of us you got the stubbornness, your temper, and your endless energy from. My favorite times with you are snuggling up reading books or nursing, still your favorite thing to do with me. You've grown so much, and keep surprising me every day with all you do.

No comments: