Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

My mother's day was a little rough at times, but overall was a great day. My ideal mother's day is a day when I don't have to mother anyone and instead just get to do what I want. That didn't happen yesterday. It started out with Carson still being sick and cranky. It's just a cold, but he was fussy and that runny nose and cough definitely were not just teething. So I decided that Carson shouldn't go to church because they really frown on sick babies in the nursery and I was feeling a little ill even though I wanted to go and hear the guest speaker. So Tony took Colten and went to church and visited the Great-Grandparents afterwards. He also did a little shopping. I was at home with a cranky child who refused to take a nap for two hours, until after lunch. While he napped I relaxed and read a book, anxiously waiting for him to wake up with the noise of the rain. Because it was raining I couldn't plant plants outside, so I wound up relaxing for over an hour. Husband comes home and Colten gives me this little gift bag. Now, our mothers all got nice cards signed by Colten and Carson, but nothing was planned for me. My husband, being thoughtful, had bought me a freshwater pearl bracelet!! It was so nice, but so expensive. It is hard to be upset with him for leaving me with a screaming child when he gave me this! After a late lunch I headed outside to plant flowers and listen to the toddler scream his displeasure of naps through the monitor. After 20 minutes of torture, I put the kid in his highchair and set him outside in the garage where he could see daddy, but not get into stuff. I don't know who took care of the bugger after that, but I was plugged into my iPod and cared about planting my flowers. My MIL fixed a dinner of left over pizza and watched the boys longer so I could get most of the flowers in the ground. Then came bedtime and the lost loveys. We have TWO loveys for Carson so you always have at least one for bed time. MIL said she set them on the stairs. Ask Colten, "Where did you put the loveys?" He says, "I think I put them by the (exercise) bike." All adults are scouring the house looking for any sign of pale green satin. Finally we get Colten out of the bath, dressed, and march him around to show us where they were. He looks at the bike and says, "I guess they didn't like it here and went somewhere else." At this point both my husband and I are ready to scream in frustration. All of a sudden, Colten walks out to the living room, where we have searched many times, reaches under a couch cusion and pulls out the loveys. We had to have a discussion about hiding brother's things and telling the truth. Finally all the kids were in bed and the Survivor Finale was on TV so I could relax. Some snuggles with my hubby, and I was happy. It was a pretty good mother's day.

No comments: