Tuesday, May 10, 2011

a second chance

I know I haven't posted much lately about how things are going with my marriage. Tony and I have decided to try and give our relationship a second chance. We discussed getting back together when I returned from spring break and Tony has been spending more and more days and nights at the house with the boys and I. We're planning to move his furniture and stuff from his house back to my house next weekend.
It might seem that this is all of a sudden, but Tony and I never had a typical separation. We had separate houses, but we still stayed friendly with each other and were able to get along most of the time. Though we haven't worked out all our issues, the biggest ones have been mostly worked out. Only a few more things to discuss and work out, but for the most part we are doing better.
That old phrase about absence making the heart grow fonder, I never really believed it, but being separated for two months proved me wrong. Being a single parent is so much more difficult and I found I miss Tony as a partner dearly. It was much easier to forget our problems when we weren't living together. My kids dearly missed having their dad and our family together, but I missed Tony as a partner an we both realized we love each other very much.
This has been a stressful, exhausting, and expensive experience, but I'm not angry that Tony made the decision that let to this. Our marriage had problems and needed help. We're trying to move on from that it was, and instead rebuild our marriage into one that we can both be happy with and keep it going for another ten years. There's enough things to stress out about in our family right now that having my marriage back together just helps us support each other more. I'm happy, my kids are happier, and my marriage is getting better.

4 comments:

Lena said...

I'm so happy for you. What wonderful news and best of luck as you continue on the journey together.

Sandra said...

Em and Tony,

That is truly encouraging news. Glad to hear that you're both moving towards reconciliation. IMO...unless there's infidelity and/or abuse, divorce is not an option. Hang in there...your kids will always thank you for it.

Hugs to you both,
Sandy

Barb said...

This is really wonderful news. I agree with Sandy - Your kids will be very grateful for you both doing the work on your relationship!!

Anonymous said...

This is indeed great news. We have been very concerned and have been praying for you and your marriage.

Rob & Carrie