Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The "Terrible Two's"


My dear Cooper,
You are now two years old, and are no longer my baby.  You have grown and changed so much in the last six months.  Cooper, you now talk and express yourself, often through screaming "No!" or "Mine!" to get the point across to anyone around you what you want.  You also know so many more words and willingly use them to tell us all where you want to go and how to get you what you want. 
You are also such an outside kid.  All spring and summer long you have wanted to constantly be outside.  It doesn't matter if it is raining and you need boots, or blistering hot (like today) and you need sunblock and sandals.  You love to look at "Mommy's flowers" and have learned not to step on too many of them.  You also love throwing rocks from the play area into the dogs' pool and pushing any push toy, wagon, or bike around the yard.  Instead of "Where's Waldo?" we play the game called "Where's Cooper?" because you like to leave the yard and any line of sight and go play.  Mommy and Daddy have even pondered a GPS tracking system to find you, but fortunately you've decided to learn to stay in our yard for the most part and off the road.  If the shop is opened, you are most likely in it "riding" your brothers' quads and pretending they were really going fast.  I'm sure you will be riding one next summer you are so driven to do everything your big brothers do. 
Inside you love anything to do with "Cars" or "Thomas the train".  You will not only watch these shows over and over, but also adore Mickey Mouse and cartoons.  Your brothers keep you interested in playing with and breaking their Lincoln Logs and Lego creations and you really like to play with your Little People garage.  There are so many things to interest you and toys to play with at our house.
I am constantly amazed by how much energy you have and how you will keep going without a nap or rest and still be at least calm for the most part.  Our family has started walking down the the gate and back every night and though your legs are short and we have a stroller, you insist on walking almost the entire way.  You get mad at me when I pull you away from some interesting plant or bug and put you in the stroller to get you to keep up.  I love how excited you get looking and learning about the outdoors around you. 
One new(er) development that I'm not loving is your temper.  You've always had a tendency to throw tantrums, but now they are getting worse.  Screaming "NO!", "Mine!", or "Go Away!" at the top of your lungs doesn't make me want to help you.  You've also become very clingy this summer since I've been home.  You no longer sleep through the night (that only lasted a month!) and now scream yourself to sleep any time I put you in your bed.  As much as I would love to hold you all the time, I just can't.  It is very difficult to hear you screaming every night and trying to distract myself with other things. 
Your diet has changed lots too now that you are two and can clearly tell me what you will and won't eat.  You love anything meat and potatoes or bread.  You detest anything green, and will turn up your nose at things your brothers refuse to eat.  Other consistent winners are raisins, yogurt, and cheese.  You love to drink milk and like to get your own cup or Mommy's water bottle from the fridge.  You have also recently been asking to sit at the table and not eat in your high chair.  You managed to make it through a meal without dumping the food all over so I'm sure we will be transitioning more and more to that. 
And even though you are grown up and exerting your independence, Mommy and Daddy are still your favorite people.  You love to snuggle with us, Binky and blankey with you. You wish you could stay up late and fall asleep snuggled up, but Mommy and Daddy like some time alone too. 
I love you Cooper!  Though frustrating at times, you are a joy in our life and I can't wait to see your personality reveal itself even more.

Mommy

No comments: