Friday, July 18, 2008

The Crappy Days of Pregnancy

If you don't want to hear me whining, skip this post!
For all those girlfriends out their who heard me say I wanted a third child, I'm telling you, "No more babies after this!" Somehow I got lucky and don't really remember the 1st trimester of being pregnant with my oldest, and the 1st trimester of being pregnant with my second wasn't all that bad. I remember having problems cooking and/or eating meat of any kind when I was pregnant with Colten, but not being sick all the time. With Carson I was just tired and didn't want to eat. No smells really bothered me either time (other than meat cooking or cigarette smoke). This time, I'm only 7 weeks along and I've already felt sick for the past three! The worst part is just starting! No matter what I eat I feel sick after I eat it, and I feel sick when I'm hungry too! The smells bother me so bad I'm holding my breath to open the fridge, the garbage, or diaper pail.
I'm so exhausted this time too! It's like having the flu and being comatose on the couch the entire time while the kids wreck havoc all around you. I try to sleep at night and toss and turn, and can barely function during the day. My poor children are confused and frustrated with me and I just can't keep up. They want a mommy to play with them and watch them and all I want to do is close my eyes. The best parts of the day are when they are asleep (nap and bedtime) because then I can sleep too. My husband has been so wonderful through this. He gets the boys up and dressed in the morning, plays with them after dinner, and helps with the bedtime routine. He's even been a sport about the easy dinners I've been cooking since I don't really feel like eating. I'm sure he's sick of sandwiches and hot dogs. I'll try to make it up to him in three or four weeks when the worst is over.
The only good thing about these horrendous symptoms is that it means my body and the baby are producing the right hormones to keep the pregnancy going well. I just have to keep telling myself that it is good (is a strange way) that I feel like this and that it will get better, in three or four weeks. For now, my days consist of trying to feed and play with my children, lying down as often as possible, and eating only what sounds good to me. Thank goodness for my family and in-laws because they like to help watch the boys for some time so I can catch up on the dishes or laundry.
In other family news, our cat Wendel, whom we thought was coyote bait after being gone over a week showed up at the door this morning, a little skinny and pitch covered, but very alive. We think he might have gotten cornered up a tree and taken a while to get down. He is sticking very close to the house and to his brother Bob, who missed him very much. Hopefully this will inspire him to stay close to home. Tony and I had just talked yesterday about getting a kitten to keep Bob company since he seemed so lonely, but our prayers were answered and Wendel is home!

2 comments:

rg said...

Falling asleep in the middle of the day is okay. Get it in where you can! Hoping the second trimester is easier on you. We're all so excited for #3. Maybe I can cuddle your #3 and skip my #3....

Alicia said...

My bet is that you're having a girl.