Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Significant Milestones

Several things happen this week (and in the last few weeks) that are mention worthy.

Tomorrow marks a significant milestone for me. I'll be 20 weeks pregnant. Why is this such a big deal you ask! Not only is it the 1/2 way marker for me through this pregnancy, but it is also the time that the term "miscarriage" becomes "still birth". For anyone who has never lost a child to miscarriage, the change in a simple term may not matter, but to me it is a big deal. It might sound morbid, but the change in terms means that if my baby were to die after this point, I would go through labor and birth. I would be able to see and hold my baby, to get pictures, hand and foot prints, and answers. I would have something to remember my baby by, instead of endless unanswered questions, bad memories, and a fuzzy ultrasound picture. (For those of you that don't know I had a D&C with Taylor. I was given a drug to start labor, then put under while my baby was chopped up and sucked out of my body into a collection bag. Not the kind of end I wanted for Taylor.) I know this baby is healthy and well (I get kicked often enough) but there will always be the "what if" factor for me. For the "what if" tomorrow is important to me.

Another major milestone is Carson's. I know I've said he's potty trained, but there were accidents, ok, lots of accidents. We were out of diapers, but the part of trusting him to tell us in time wasn't there. Since he turned three he has just grown so much, and not physically. Carson is not only completely potty trained, but he's dry ALL night too! Of course, he wakes us up to help him to the bathroom at 12:30 at night, but I'm not buying expensive pull-ups and worrying about leaks. Carson also moved up to the pre-school class for Sunday school at church. I was a little worried at first, but the teachers say he is doing great and was definitely ready to be there. Now he's ready for pre-school in the fall.

Carson has been talking, but these last few weeks he's just become even more so. Instead of answering someone, he is giving detailed descriptions of what he did during the day and even corrects me when I get some of the details wrong. I think the part he likes best is he is now able to describe all the things Colten does to him and get Colten in trouble. Carson can now boss Colten around and tell him off when he wants too! It is funny (in a hair-pulling, frustrating way) to watch the two of them go at each other with words. I don't think Colten cares for the better communication skills though.

2 comments:

Lena said...

Hugs! so you can get through tomorrow (and the remainder of the 20 weeks) without too much worry.

Yeah for Carson's communication skills, way to drive big brother nuts. :)

Anonymous said...

Crossing my fingers for you that the rest of your pregnancy goes well!


♥
Molly

http://www.roots-andwings.blogspot.com/