Those of you who know me well (like anyone who reads this doesn't know me), you know I am not a patient person. I'm a type A personality planner. This makes me a great teacher and family scheduler. I can coordinate and often have several things going on at once.
Nothing is more frustrating to me than not having a plan. I like knowing what my day could and should look like, much less my weeks and months ahead. One thing this entire last year has taught me: God has a plan and you can't make it yours. I've struggled to grasp this concept since I became a Christian 10 years ago. I've always believed that you can control lots (most) of what happens in your life. One thing I've had to learn you can't plan though is babies.
I got pregnant unexpectedly two years ago when Carson was barely a year old. I remember I spent most of that summer off feeling really sick and being mad at God for messing up MY plan. Just when I was starting to accept that I was pregnant and was getting excited for a new baby, I found out she died.
After being one of the most fertile people on earth, I experienced 6 months of unexplained infertility. I was desperately trying all the supplements and prayer I knew to become pregnant after Taylor died. It was this time last year, I was talking with a friend about my frustrations and she told me I needed to let it all go and give in to God's plan. Sounds easy right? NOT! I spent two months just trying to let it all go. Instead of praying each day to be pregnant, I had to learn to pray to learn to trust God and that his plan would work for me. Lo, and behold, once I REALLY started believing in what I was praying for, I got pregnant. People often think I planned this pregnancy for the summer being a teacher, but this pregnancy was the most unplanned pregnancy. I'd given up and assumed I was somehow infertile and was going to pursue further testing/ treatment after the holidays were over. Well, God's plan became my plan.
Fast forward nine months. I've never had a pregnancy go this long before. Being the planner I am, I planned my summer up until my due date, leaving some flexibility in case I had this baby early, but not late! I never thought I would be sitting here almost a week overdue with no more signs of labor starting than a week ago. For the last 5 days I've had to again re-arrange my thoughts and prayers. Instead of praying for labor (or my water breaking) I've been praying that God's got it all planned out and he will give me a healthy baby. Giving up my plans has been so very difficult. I don't give up anything very easy, and giving in to God is humbling. My husband would testify that life at our house is crazy right now and I'm at the center of most of the chaos. I figure if I can just give in to God's plan and give all my worries and labor stress to him, I will sleep better at night and just maybe go into labor soon. With there being no signs of labor starting, I do keep hoping for my water to break so at least I'll be heading in the right direction soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment