Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Call me crazy

This last weekend was a four (five) day weekend for my family. Where did I go you might ask? Tucson, Arizona to visit my in-laws, with my kids and estranged husband.
See, crazy! Tony and I bought tickets (non-refundable) for this trip back in October. We talked about what to do and decided it would be a cool vacation for the boys and some time for us to spend with them as a family.
It all went surprisingly well. Hotels were great, planes left on time, family members were wonderful and left the subject of our marriage alone. The only thing that could have been better was the weather. The first three days we were in Tucson it was cold, windy, and often raining. Only on Monday was the sun out in full force. It was so nice to feel the sunshine!
Tony and I managed to focus on the kids and keeping them occupied, so we didn't really spend much time alone with each other or even talk about us. Neither of us got much sleep since Carson and Cooper woke us up several times in the night.
My in-laws were wonderful. They fed us, let us stay with them, and even planned out activities for us to do down there. The Desert Museum was windy, but a really great combination zoo/museum. Colten had especially wanted to see tarantulas and rattle snakes while we were visiting and he was able to see plenty of them, all behind glass walls. Carson really liked the turtles and frogs. He even chose a stuffed turtle he calls "Digger" from the gift shop. Colten wanted a cactus so he got a small (4" tall) Saguaro for at home. He already watered it too. We've had the discussion about how he needs to wait an entire month before watering it again.
Another day the boys all went to the Pima Air Museum to look at old airplanes and the girls went to Tubac, an artsy historic town. On the coldest (and windiest) day we got together with Tony's family and my parents to celebrate Carson's 4th birthday. It was simple, but great fun. Carson really liked his cake and didn't complain about not having lit candles (the wind was blowing too hard).
Normally I'd post pictures of the trip, but I left my camera at home. I was able to take pictures with my MIL's camera, but I don't have those yet so you'll have to make do with your imagination. It was interesting to leave the sun and come back to the snow.

No comments: