Friday, May 1, 2009
When reality hits
It has been easy for me to for the most part ignore the economic problems our country is facing. That is until this last week. With both Tony and I employed by city and state governments, the economy has been something we've chatted, but not in a worried sort of way. This last week the state released the budget for next year. The education budget is much better than initially expected, but it is still 3 billion short of what is needed. To larger districts, their portion of 3 billion could be cut by re-assigning some teachers and eliminating some programs. To my small district, that means major cuts. They are cutting 6 full time teachers next year. That is like 1/5 our teaching staff!! I am lucky that I've been teaching long enough that I am #8 on the seniority list and will not be cut, or even getting a slip. But it scares me. Even more, a friend of ours that works for a computer company just this week lost his job. The family has 4 kids, just built a million $ house last year, and now will lose this six figure income. I am grateful for the job I have, and just pray for those people who are struggling, not because of their own poor financial errors, but because they've lost their jobs in this poor economy. It is easy to watch TV and think that stinks but when people I know are losing their jobs I just wish I could fix the world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment