Wednesday, December 31, 2008

First time in 5 years...

...that I cleaned a bathroom! I know, sounds disgusting, but I've had a house cleaner for the last five years do it all for me. My husband would argue that I didn't clean the bathroom, but instead just cleaned the toilets and sinks. So what, I cleaned the parts that were the dirtiest and bothering me the most. I didn't even attempt to clean the boys' bathroom upstairs. Both big boys use the toilet frequently and it terrifies me. The sinks are used by little ones and are smeared with all kinds of scary substances.

Why did I clean you ask? Well, our house cleaner was supposed to clean last week but was stuck in her house with the snow like I was. She said that she would try to make it this week, but that it was unlikely because she had a busy schedule and was trying to fit in the make-ups when she could. So the next time she'll be here is next Wednesday. I just couldn't be at home another five days and see our master bathroom in the state it was in. So I cleaned it, and the guest bath downstairs.

You may ask, why do you have a house cleaner if money is tight? Isn't that a luxury? Well, yes it is a luxury to us, but it is also a marriage saver. When Tony and I were first married the biggest arguments were over money and cleaning the house. We had brought up the topic with our marriage counselor several times those first three years we were married. Finally, after three years and with an 18 month old cruising the floors and bathrooms the counselor suggested we get a cleaner and give up one cleaning chore for each of us. Tony gave up the floors, vacuuming and mopping them, and I gave up the bathrooms. Yes money is tight, and always has been tight in our family, but it is worth the money each month to stop the arguing. No more heavy cleaning and the best days are when I come home to a clean house that smells like lavender (she uses all natural lavender oil cleaners!) I don't stress about how to clean three months worth of mess when company comes over and it is easier to keep things clean once they are clean.

The best perk, it requires us as a family to pick up our stuff every two weeks for the house cleaner. I don't think of it as "cleaning for the cleaner" but instead is picking our stuff up off the floors and putting the toys and clothes away where they go so we get our money's worth. Why pay for her to pick up just to be able to vacuum, when instead keeping the stuff out of the way and if she has time left in her 2 hours she will wipe down my counters and table, or wash a few of the dirty windows.

So do I miss her when she can't make it, YES!

No comments: