Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The truth hits home

I have realized in the hours since I left the doctors that I can no longer consider myself pregnant. This means I can enjoy awesome drugs tomorrow during surgery, because I am terrified. It also means I can enjoy wine and other beverages too.

The down side, I'll never feel this baby flutter in my belly again. It just tears me up inside to think that I have been feeling things these last few weeks thinking they are kicks, but instead have been just gas. I am no longer pregnant, so must go back to worrying about not gaining weight and birth control. I no longer need maternity clothes and need to put any baby stuff (thankfully not much was pulled out) away. I need to learn to grieve and share my grief with my husband. I need to not blame myself, or the coffee I drank, or the time I was sick, but instead realize that this was a baby with serious problems to die this young. I need to look at my two healthy, beautiful children and think of how blessed I am to be a mommy to them. I need to look to God for support and know my baby is safe in heaven, not be angry with how things turned out and turn from him. I have no idea how I will accomplish all this and stay sane.

I realized today filling out the pharmacy paper work that I couldn't check the box for pregnant any longer. I am going to have a difficult time looking at babies or even talking about them for a while. My dear husband is worried about me falling into a pit of despair, so girlfriends, help pull me out if I start to slide. I am taking at least a week off of work, since I don't need the sick time for maternity leave anymore and my school is being very helpful.

Please understand that I am so sad, that my posts in the future will most likely be depressing and sad as well.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

You are so loved, you and your entire family. We will give you whatever you need, whether it's space to grieve or a loving pull away from the darkness.

Please give yourself permission to mourn and grieve. We are all here for you and Tony. Let us know what you need. For now, it's space...you are in our prayers.

Barb said...

Em - XOXOXOXO
I cried reading your blog - I cannot imagine... I am so sorry for your loss.

You are much loved.

You are in my prayers,

Aunt Barb

btw - I like what I hear from Jenny. She's very smart - I'm glad you & she are close.